Some Horror (or just Halloween-ish) Movies I Recommend

It's the end of October, aka one of my favorite times of the year. And that's not just because Halloween is in FIVE DAYS, but for the past week, there have been horror movie marathons on practically every channel imaginable. This time of the year is absolutely perfect for burrowing yourself in a little blanket, turning off the lights, and streaming one of your favorite Halloween movies; so, to celebrate, I'll be sharing some of my favorite horror/Halloween movies with you all (and in some cases, not my favorites, but ones I recommend), and I hope you find something to spend your October nights with! (Though I may proceed with caution, because some of the pictures included may be seen as spoilers, depending on how you define spoilers.)

 

  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - This horror entire franchise is one of, if not my absolute favorite. The originals are all kinds of gruesome horror, and Freddy Krueger is the wittiest villain ever, and truly original and awesome deaths. To think that there are people who still haven't seen this classic upsets me, so if you're one of those people, remedy that immediately, this Halloween! 
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - This is, without a doubt, my favorite horror movie remake ever. Maybe even my favorite remake, period (although I think I am in a vast minority for this). I don't know what it is about this, but it just really...captures the essence of the original, which is really all you can ask for in a remake, no? (And I'm going to say that I think the remake is much creepier than the original. And more suspenseful.) 
*screeching noise*

 

  • The Cabin in the Woods - This is horror for people who don't like horror, and I mean that in the best way possible. For starters, this is directed by Joss Whedon. That should be enough to have this ready to stream on your computer. But, if that doesn't mean much to you, you should know that The Cabin in the Woods is awesome, witty, and is just an all around fun movie to watch, Halloween or not. But it's especially perfect for Halloween. And there's a unicorn in it, so...
It's just so majestic...
  • Insidious - This is also one of my favorite Halloween movies. Sure, it has its flaws, but it's really fun, really creepy, and has an awesome plot. Recommended in particular to those who are scared most by jump scares, because this movie has MANY. It's, like, 80% jump scare. And then, like, 20% screeching violin. 100% awesome. 
Insidious and its creepiness.

 
  • Hocus Pocus - This is just a must for every single person on the planet come October. If you've never seen Hocus Pocus, I don't believe you. But if you're telling the truth, I feel bad for you. And you need to watch this movie. Immediately. Like, right now. You know what, even if you have seen Hocus Pocus before, you should still watch it right now. Never pass up an opportunity to watch Hocus Pocus. 



  • Devil - This seems to be a hit or miss with most people, but for me, it's most certainly a hit. I don't know if I'd consider Devil a horror favorite, but it is definitely a movie I find myself continually recommending to those looking for a quick, suspenseful, and creepy way to spend an October night. And the climax is fantastic. But, it is an M. Night Shyamalan movie so just...keep that in mind? 
  

  • Sinister - This movie is HORRIFYING. Simple as that. It's just horrifying. I saw it opening night, and it's still lingered with me. THAT LAWNMOWER SCENE? Yeah, no. No no no no no. Highly, highly recommended for Halloween.
  • Paranormal Activity 3 - Although this franchise has essentially turned to shit, it's still my ultimate guilt pleasure. And I put Paranormal Activity 3 on here as opposed to 1, or 2 (not 4, because 4 is shit and that's that) because, for starters, it's my favorite of the franchise, and it's also first in the franchise chronologically. But you can still definitely watch the franchise in order (you know, like 1, 2, 3, and not 4 because again, 4 is shit). But this is definitely the one I would recommend most. That blanket scene still gives me chills. 
I CAN'T.

  

  • Funny Games (2007) - THIS. IS NOT. FOR. THE FAINT OF HEART. I repeat, NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. Never, never for the faint of heart. Ever. What you need to know about this movie is that it is highly disturbing (one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen) and horrifyingly appalling. And that it's not for the faint of heart. But you already knew that. And I promise you will never forget this movie. (You'll find out why.) 
  • The Shining - Um, obviously. If you haven't seen this yet, I'm disappointed in you. But let's be honest, who hasn't seen The Shining? Perfect movie for Halloween. Or winter. Definitely winter, too. In a hotel. With your family. It's also really fun to start laughing maniacally and smiling creepily at your husband in said hotel during winter. I know this from experience. 
Forever and everrrrrrr.

There are a lot more awesome horror/Halloween movies I would recommend, but since these are the ones that came to my mind first, I think they deserve a spot on the list most. (There's also The Exorcist and Halloween, but of course those are self explanatory. As is A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Shining, but those were movies I just had to include. And then there's Halloweentown, which is just a given for Halloween movies you must watch if you want to feel good and nostalgic.)

What are some of your favorite horror/Halloween movies? Are you planning on watching any of the above this Halloween? If not, let me know what you are planning on watching! 

12 comments :

  1. Oh man The Shining is freaky yet addictive--it's one of those ones that just creep up on you. Paranormal Activity is pretty intense and gave me nightmares for the first one, then they started getting a little worse each time. Great recommendation post, Blythe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrrr, seeing these movie posters already makes me scared, haha. The only movie I've seen and really liked is Hocus Pocus, but all the others are really nothing for me. I'll list them down for my boyfriend though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOCUS POCUS is the best! I adore that movie so much, and I haven't seen it in such a long time. From the list, I also love Funny Games and Cabin in the Woods. I'm too much of a scardy cat to watch Insidious. I really liked The Conjuring that was just in theaters too. I think my favorite Halloween movie though would have to be Halloweentown on Disney Channel. It's so corny, but I watched it as a kid when it first aired and it brings such nostalgic, warm feelings. That and Mary Kate and Ashley's Double Double Toil & Trouble. Love the list, Blythe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Halloweentown. I actually put it in this post next to Hocus Pocus, but then I figured, for those who haven't seen it yet, the charm in watching that is really like 99% reliant on nostalgia.

      Delete
  4. I've seen all these except Sinister, but these are really great picks! I can't find a single movie on here to disagree with. Though I probably would have picked Paranormal Activity over Paranormal Activity 3, but that's probably because it was the first one and the only one that made me sleep with the lights off.

    But speaking of Paranormal Activity 4, I just watched that last night! And you're right. It was so, so bad. Aside from a few scenes where I jumped because something else jumped out at me, I spent a majority of the movie laughing and mocking the characters. Somehow I don't think that was what they were going for, but maybe that's just me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woooo I just picked up a new copy of The Shining last night because my old one mysteriously had a crack in it :( I'm totally with you on the Nightmare on Elm Street movies - I LOVE the remake. It takes everything from the original and kind of amplifies it. I love it.

    I feel like the only person in the world who didn't find Insidious or Sinister creepy. They're from the same people, right? I mean, I get scared at the mere mention of horror movies, but these just didn't do it for me.

    So funny that you posted this today. I have my horror movie picks going up later on today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never actually seen The Shining. That's something I should totally remedy...

    I like Practical Magic, though it's more Halloween-ish than truly scary. The Scream movies are pretty entertaining. And you can't go wrong with the original Carrie.

    I think the most disturbing movie I've ever watched was Pan's Labyrinth. Good lord... the Pale Man... I think they class that movie as "fantasy", but I'd put it straight into the horror section. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really watch these horror movies but the original black and white Dracula with Bela Lugosi is my go-to Halloween movie, because, well, it's Dracula.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of a lot of these but never actually even seen one. I am terrified of horror movies, so sadly I won't be seeing these even if you paid me, but it's a great list. The Omen and A Haunting in Connecticut are the only horror movies I've seen and - hopefully - I can keep it that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some creepy movies. Whoa! There's a unicorn stabbing the crap out of that man! I should watch. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no way in hell you could get me to watch most of these movies. However, I have seen Hocus Pocus and The Cabin in the Woods. I spent the second half of The Cabin in the Woods hiding behind my napkin, because we were at one of those movie theaters that feeds you, if you pay them exorbitant amounts of money.

    Oh, favorite Halloween movie is The Nightmare Before Christmas, which is more Christmasy, I guess, but Tim Burton just says Halloween. Oh and Beetlejuice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome horror/Halloween movies Devil 123movies a favorite suspenseful

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!