Waiting on Wednesday - The Winner's Curse

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking the Spine where we post upcoming releases we're highly anticipating. My pre-publication selection for this week's Waiting on Wednesday is The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski.

The Winner's Curse
Marie Rutkoski
Release Date: March 4th, 2014
Publisher: Farrar, Strauss & Girroux
Waited on by: Blythe

Add to Goodreads

In the tradition of Kristin Cashore and Cassandra Clare comes this brilliant, unputdownable, star-crossed romance about the curse of winning.

Seventeen-year-old Kestrel is an aristocratic citizen of Valoria, a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers. Here, a girl like Kestrel has two choices: join the military or get married. Despite her skills in military strategy, Kestrel’s real passion is music.Which is why she feels compelled to buy Arin, a slave with a talent for singing, at auction. It’s not long before she finds herself falling in love with Arin, and he seems to feel the same for her. But Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for Arin is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a new world, The Winner’s Curse is a story of wicked rumors, dirty secrets, and games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.

I was interested in reading this ever since I read Marie Rutkoski's The Shadow Society last year, but now, after the endlessly rave reviews The Winner's Curse has gotten from very trusted friends of mine, to say I'm interested in this would be a massive understatement. And the cover is GORGEOUS.

What are you waiting on?

 Leave a link in the comments!

13 comments :

  1. I've not heard of this before, but I definitely think it sounds interesting :) And I like the cover!

    Janina
    My WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is very pretty! I haven't heard about it before, but I'll need to check it out! Nice pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd be sick of girl-in-dress covers by now but I gotta say, this one is absolutely magnificent.

    Thanks for sharing, Blythe! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is gorgeous! I've seen the book before too. =)
    Bieke @ Istyria book blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am so glad they released the cover and I love it! I cannot wait to read this one. I have heard such great things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is on my TBR list--love the cover! I love the line, 'wicked rumors and dirty secrets' Perfect pick.

    My Friends Are Fiction's Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cover and the story line have me sold!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this one before, but it sounds amazing! Great pick, I'm adding it to my TBR list. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHH.

    To say I am DYING TO READ THIS BOOK is also an understatement. I actually really enjoyed The Shadow Society, and can't wait to see what this author brings next! The synopsis for this one sound superb, and that cover?

    Beautiful.

    Awesome pick, Blythe! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it terrible that I read "vast empire" as "vampire" and thought it was a different type of book entirely? lol

    I can see why you want to read this intriguing book, and yes, the cover rocks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pick, I hadn't heard of this but have just added it to the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't a huge fan of Shadow Society, but after seeing Kat and Steph rave about it, this is a must read! Or at least a must-try, hah. ;)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't much like Shadow Society but I cannot resist the siren call of a pretty dress on the cover so read this one I must!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!